THE MANUFACTURING OF A VSS BIOPOWER BIOREFINERY GETS OFF TO A FLYING START
BioGTS Oy, with locations in Jyväskylä and Laukaa, and VSS Biopower Oy in Säkylä have signed an agreement on the delivery of a biorefinery.
A new type of plant
BioGTS is to supply Säkylä with a first of its kind biorefinery in Finland. The same plant, in a closed process, will produce biogas, biodiesel and organic soil improvements. The operation of the plant will be based on fully automated dry digestion technology. The environmentally-friendly biorefinery will use biodegradable food industry waste and other biomasses generated in the Satakunta region as raw materials. The plant’s annual treatment capacity is approximately 20,000 tonnes.
An award-winning innovation
Plant manufacturer BioGTS’s award-winning method is based on a new patented biogas and biodiesel technology that guarantees a more energy-efficient overall process. Various types of the company’s bio plants are already operating in several locations in Finland. In October, BioGTS entered into an agreement on the first biogas plant to be delivered to China.
− The Säkylä plant in a unique way will be combining our company’s biogas and biodiesel technologies. The combining of these technologies within the same facility brings a variety of synergies, when the process side streams can be utilized in parallel processes. The degree of domestic content in the new plant is high, over 90%, says Mika Rautiainen, CEO of BioGTS Oy.
The employment impact during the plant manufacturing of the Säkylä biorefinery project is more than 35 man-years.
One of the top projects
The total cost estimate of the VSS Biopower plant is over 10 million euros.
The company’s biorefinery project is one of the top energy-related technology projects in Finland, approved by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment (TEM). TEM has allocated investment aid of nearly 3 million to the project. Additional funding for the project was also raised through a crowdfunding campaign. The funding campaign ended on October 31, 2017, exceeding all expectations. The final amount invested rose to almost 1.5 million euros.
- BioGTS Ltd. is a Finnish manufacturer of patented and factory-built biogas and biodiesel plants, set up in 2011.
- The biogas plant technology based on a new technique, developed and patented by BioGTS Ltd., is based on the so-called dry process and is directly suitable for the processing of dry biomass fractions, without the need for added liquid.
- The plant’s feedstock: biodegradable food industry waste and other biomasses generated in the Satakunta region.
- The plant’s products: upgraded biogas, utilized as a substitute for fossil gas as industrial gas and transport fuel, biodiesel utilized in industry and as transport fuel, as well as digestate utilized as organic fertilizer in agriculture.
- Component manufacturing starts with immediate effect and the plant is scheduled to start up in early 2019. The degree of domestic content in the new plant is high, over 90%. The employment impact during the plant manufacturing of the Säkylä biorefinery project is more than 35 man-years.
- BioGTS Oy employs some 40 experts in Jyväskylä. In addition, the company employs more than 100 people through its subcontracting chain. The company received recognition in 2016 as the fastest-growing company in Central Finland and in Finland as a whole (Kauppalehti).